Beard oil is one of the many male hygiene products out there but even though it is sometimes marketed as ‘essential’, is it really something that you should use on your beard? What does it even do?
If you want to learn more about beard oils including what they are and what they do, then we have got your back!
Here, we are going to be taking a closer look at beard oils to see if they are essential or something you can afford to skip out on. So, let’s get started!
What Is A Beard Oil?
Let’s start with the basics – what is beard oil and what does it do? A beard oil is a type of conditioner that aims to help improve the quality of your beard and the skin beneath it.
Obviously, this means that it’s only for men who have facial hair and useless to those who don’t. Most beard oils are made up of two types of oils combined together.
One oil is a type of carrier oil, such as jojoba oil, which helps give the product its smooth, oily texture and quality. Jojoba oil is also a great moisturizer that is super close in quality to the natural oils our face and hair produce.
The other oil is an essential oil that not only helps give the oil a certain scent but includes its own properties to help benefit your beard.
The whole point of beard oil is to help hydrate your beard and facial hair, making it lush and soft, while also ensuring that the skin beneath stays moisturized too. Facial hair can be super coarse but also really dry.
This means that the facial hair then tries to draw more oil and nutrients from your skin to take care of itself – and this can lead to dry, itchy skin beneath your beard.
Beard oil aims to provide your facial hair with all the moisture it needs to stay strong and healthy without damaging your skin.
By providing your facial hair with the nutrients it needs to grow healthily, your beard will become softer and stronger. Plus, the essential oils help your beard smell great too – score!
Who Should Use Beard Oil?
Obviously, people with beards should pick up a beard oil and include it into their daily routine to help keep their skin and beards soft and healthy but what about those with stubble, sideburns or mustaches?
Can they use beard oil too? The answer is – yeah! Absolutely!
Anyone with facial hair should use beard oil as there’s so many benefits to using it. It not only improves your facial hair’s quality, but also helps your skin stay in great condition too.
So whether you are just starting out with your beard or you have one to rival Santa Claus – a beard oil could seriously benefit you!
How To Use Your Beard Oil
The great thing about beard oil is that you can use it multiple times every single day. If your beard is super dry, then you can easily keep applying the beard oil until it’s at the quality that you desire.
Not only that but it’s actually super easy to use your beard oil. Most beard oils come in bottles with a pump so all you have to do is pump the oil into your hands and rub them together.
Then, massage your beard and the skin around it, allowing the oil to rub off onto the hairs from the roots right down to the tips.
You can even use a comb or brush to help even the distribution of the oil while getting rid of any knots and tangles.
How much beard oil you want to use depends on how long and how dry your beard is. Those who just have stubble will not have to use as much oil , perhaps only one or two pumps.
For the average beard, three pumps should be enough. However, if you feel like you need more, then go ahead – use as much oil as your beard needs!
Beard Oil Ingredients: A Breakdown
Although we touched on the ingredients of a typical beard oil earlier, let’s break the down further so you can see how each ingredient works its magic on your facial hair.
This way, you can find the right kind of beard oil for you that has all the ingredients you need to tackle certain problems and issues.
The Best Carrier Oils
Carrier oils help give the oil its body and are the main source of moisture for your facial hair. However, there are lots of different types of oil and each has its own benefits. So, let’s check them out!
- Jojoba oil is one of the most common oils used in beard oils because of how much it resembles our natural facial oils. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and helps fight against acne.
- Castor oil, on the other hand, encourages hair growth so if you are trying to grow your beard, a caster oil-based beard oil is a great choice.
- For softer facial hair that helps fight against dry skin and dandruff, argan oil is a great choice to go with.
- One of the best oils for conditioning your facial hair and softening your skin is avocado oil. It’s also a great cleanser and carries plenty of great nutrients that your skin can benefit from.
- Almond oil helps fight against many common issues including dry skin, dandruff, acne, and more.
- Another antimicrobial oil is coconut oil. It’s also a great moisturizer that helps stimulate hair growth for healthier beards.
The Best Essential Oils
Essential oils are usually added for their scent but each one also has its own benefits. Let’s take a look at some common essential oils used in beard oils to see which one is best for you!
- Lavender is a scent that helps alleviate stress while the oil itself is great for sensitive skin.
- While it is a tougher ingredient, lemon essential oil helps hair to fight and fights off dandruff by removing toxins in your hair and skin.
- Tea tree is antibacterial which helps clear up dry and itchy skin.
- Patchouli helps repair damaged skin and minimizes pores, helping your skin to stay cleaner for longer.
- Best known for its sharp scent, peppermint is also great for cooling irritated skin and stimulating hair growth.
- If you want a beard oil that is beloved for its ‘manly’ scent and calming properties, then cedarwood is a great ingredient for you to opt for.
So, that’s everything you need to know about beard oil. Does it sound like the kind of thing you’d like to try out? All you have to do is find your ideal beard oil at your local healthcare store or online!
- How Long Does Cologne Last? - September 30, 2022
- What Is Beard Balm? - September 20, 2022
- Best Beard Growth Kit - September 20, 2022