We’ve all had that experience where we’re sitting in the barber shop, and we see him trim our sideburns, and think, hey, I could do that.
If you’ve been wanting to try shaving your own sideburns the right way, then we’ve got you covered, bro.
Simply keep reading below, as we give you the ultimate guide on how to shave your own sideburns.
Look At The Shape Of Your Face
Before we jump straight in and take a look at how you can trim your sideburns to perfection, we need to determine the shape of your face first.
It’s true that depending on the particular shape of your face, you’ll likely need a specific style of sideburn that suits you.
Because the purpose of sideburns is to frame your jaw, you need to make sure that they transition well from your cheeks, all the way up to the hairline.
In order to determine the best type of sideburns for you, we’ve created a list based on face shape. Keep reading to find out more below.
- Diamond Shape – If you have a diamond shaped face, the best type of sideburns to suit your face will be medium length. Ending at the midpoint of your ear, trim them to this point. A full beard also looks great on a diamond shaped face, so maybe this is something that you want to consider too.
- Round Face – If you have a round face, then we suggest that you leave your sideburns as long as possible. This will help to make your face appear longer, creating an allusion to make your jawline look accentuated.
- Oblong Face – If you have an oblong face, then this probably means that you should keep your sideburns shorter. By keeping them shorter, they will prevent your face from appearing too long. If you can, leave them a bit wider too.
- Triangle Face – If you are somebody who has a triangle shaped face, then you should leave them a little bit longer, as this will help to narrow out your jawline.
- Oval Face – If you have an oval shaped face, then you should avoid leaving them too long, as this could make your chin appear overly pointed. Instead, opt for sideburns that end at the mid ear length.
- Square Face – If you have a square face, then consider leaving the sideburns longer down your face, in order to give it a more narrow appearance. You can finish them at the endpoint of your ears.
Steps To Shave Awesome Sideburns
Now that you have taken a look at the shape of your face, and which sideburns would suit you best, we can move on to look at the steps that you can take to create the perfect sideburns.
If you follow these steps, you can maintain the perfect sideburns in between all of your barber shop visits, helping to save you money.
First of all, you need to take a look at which of your sideburns has the shortest length, so you can go ahead and create your end line.
The reason why you should do this is because if you cut it too short, you’ll still have the length on the other side to counter this.
Make sure that you’re using a reputable razor that contains no guard.
Face your cheek with the teeth of its blade, by flipping the trimmer over.
You will need to choose one of the end points of the sideburn to get started on, and after this, you can go ahead and try to cut as straight of a line as possible.
Don’t trim too much off too early, as it’s far better to take too little from the length than too much.
This way you can gradually build it up to the perfect length.
This next step is actually one of the most difficult, as it involves replicating the line that you’ve just made on the other side.
Take your time, and do your best to get it looking as even as possible.
In order to get it as perfect as possible, you can even measure it to make sure that it’s the correct length.
Now that you’ve created two even lines, you’ll need to start tapering them.
You can approach this step exactly the same way as you did before, and start off gradually, only taking a little off at a time.
Make sure that you’re not pressing down too hard with the blade, and slowly get rid of any remaining pieces of hair.
Now that you’re done, you can go ahead and make sure that they’re evenly matched.
If you don’t have a measuring tape handy, don’t worry, because there’s another method you can employ to check that they’re perfect.
All you have to do is take your index fingers, and put them at the end point of both your sideburns.
You’ll be able to see in the mirror if your index fingers are resting on the same area on both sides of your face.
If they don’t look like they’re quite there, you can go ahead and trim where need be.
- Never trim above the midpoint of your ears
- Make sure that you always match your sideburn length with the shape of your face
- Don’t use ears a reference point, as they’re often asymmetrical
- Always leave the width and length looking as natural as possible
Trimming your own sideburns isn’t all that difficult, and if you follow the steps outlined above, you’ll be on your way to the perfect trim in no time.
Just make sure that you choose the correct length of sideburn based on your specific face shape.
- How Long Does Cologne Last? - September 30, 2022
- What Is Beard Balm? - September 20, 2022
- Best Beard Growth Kit - September 20, 2022