No one wants to be walking around worrying about scratching that constant itch or if they have dandruff falling on their shoulders.
That's why specially formulated shampoos were created to help soothe your scalp.
Although, with so many options available it can be overwhelming to decide which one will not only dull that itch by also helping to treat any unknown conditions such as eczema, and dirt buildup.
We have put together this article which contains 5 of the best shampoos to help soothe that itchy scalp.
We have also included a simple buyer's guide to help make sure you know what to look for when buying the right shampoo for you and your hair.
You will have a nourished, itch-free scalp in no time. Read below to find out more!
Best Shampoo For Itchy Scalp
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
Dry, itchy, and flaky scalps are relieved and calmed by the Design Essentials Peppermint & Aloe Therapeutics Anti-Itch Shampoo.
Dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis can both be treated with it. Pyrithione zinc, peppermint, and aloe are ingredients in this shampoo's formulation that calm and nourish your scalp.
If you enjoy the smell of minty freshness first thing in the morning, or before you go to bed then this shampoo is for you.
The delicate formulation does not remove your hair and scalp's natural oils. The scalp and hair's moisture balance can be restored with the aid of this shampoo.
Whether you are a man or woman you can enjoy the long-lasting effects of this gentle, soothing shampoo.
You walk around knowing that there is not a particle of dry skin in sight as you begin using the Design Essentials Peppermint and Aloe Therapeutics Anti-Itch Shampoo.
- Non-Stripping. The gentle formula of this shampoo means that your hair and scalp will not be stripped of their natural oils when being washed.
- Suitable for all hair types. Oily, dry, or damaged, this shampoo can be used on everyone to take care of their hair.
- Vegan. This shampoo is vegan, gluten-free, and cruelty-free meaning you can use it without worrying about the repercussions.
- Price. This shampoo is a more expensive option on the market.
- Scent. Peppermint can be overpowering for some users.
If you feel constant itching on your scalp. Whether you are waking up in the morning, driving the kids to school, or even as you are washing your hair, Pura d’or Scalp Therapy Shampoo could be the product to help you.
Tea tree, peppermint, lavender, and argan oils, which improve scalp health, are used in the formulation of this shampoo. It nourishes dry, damaged hair, making it smooth and frizz-free.
Now, this shampoo may not be the most budget-friendly but the soothing, nourishing results are certainly worth it.
The expert blend of natural oils ensures that your hair and scalp are being cleansed of any product build-up and moisturized for a supermodel shine.
And there's no need to worry about this shampoo fading that vibrant color. The Pura d’or Scalp Therapy Shampoo is suitable for all hair types.
It is cruelty-free, color safe, and is free of sulfates, parabens, and gluten. Meaning you are only getting the best when you use Pura d’or Scalp Therapy Shampoo.
- Color-Safe. From bright fuchsia to highlighted blondes, this shampoo won’t strip out your wonderful color.
- Sulfate and Paraben Free. This shampoo is free of the harsh chemicals found in lower-end products. Leaving your hair feeling moisturized and healthy.
- Ingredients. A blend of soothing oils including lavender, and argan oil helps calm the hair while tea tree oil and peppermint treat the tender skin areas.
- Price. This shampoo is a higher-end shampoo that may not be within the budget of most buyers.
- Re-growth. If your hair has fallen out due to the constant scratching then this shampoo will not aid in re-growth.
Infused with tea tree oil, manuka honey, coconut oil, and apple stem cells that aid in giving your hair a new lease of life with a gorgeous natural shine.
The Honeyskin Tea Tree Shampoo uses stem cell technology to treat your sensitive, itchy scalp by moisturizing the hair.
Struggling with hair growth during this frustrating time? The Honeyskin Tea Tree Shampoo promotes healthy hair growth.
Through their perfect pH balance, this shampoo stimulates the hair follicle and encourages new hair growth. It also pacifies the stresses of eczema while protecting both your hair and scalp from disease.
Use this shampoo daily on all hair types to experience the incredible results of the Honeyskin Tea Tree Shampoo. Not sure if this is the product for you?
You can purchase the smaller bottle of Tea Tree Shampoo to sample before purchasing the larger size. This is great to ensure this product will deliver the results you want.
- pH-Balance. With a perfect pH balance, this shampoo stimulates hair follicles and encourages new hair growth.
- Stem Cell Technology. Apple stem cells are used to naturally hydrate the hair and scalp.
- Daily Use. This shampoo has a gentle enough formula that it can be used daily for extremely itchy scalps.
- Size. Honeyskin Tea Tree Shampoo comes in 2 sizes to select from which is great for traveling or saving money.
- Time. Using this shampoo will not mean having
The Sphagnum PsoriAid Shampoo is a real help if you have psoriasis, dandruff, or eczema and are seeking a gentle regular shampoo.
This 100% natural shampoo is formulated from argan oil, olive oil, and peat mud. All of these ingredients work to cleanse the scalp and ensure nourishment for softer, healthier hair.
You only need to use a small amount to gain a rich lather to massage your hair and scalp. The peat mud is 100% organic, harvested from Northern Europe, and is rich in healing properties from the fulvic and humic acids.
If you often find that your shampoo leaves your scalp red, and itchier than before then swap it for Sphagnum PsoriAid Shampoo.
This hypoallergenic shampoo is paraben and toxin free allowing it to reduce redness and appease the scalp. All that is left behind is calming earthy scent for you and everyone around you to enjoy.
- Peat Mud. This ingredient is 100% organic from Northern Europe and is rich in healing fulvic and humic acids. This leaves your hair nourished and hydrated.
- Hypoallergenic. Is great for sensitive skin.
- Scent. A subtle earthy scent means this shampoo is not overpowering.
- Psoriasis & Eczema Relief. Calms redness and soothes skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and dandruff while reducing redness.
- Color Stripping. This all-natural shampoo is very powerful and thoroughly cleanses, which allows it to lighten colored hair.
Your hair and scalp are revitalized by the Majestic Pure Cosmeceuticals Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo. Pure apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, and avocado oil are abundant in them, which hydrate, nourish, and calm your scalp.
This shampoo assists in detoxicating the scalp, removing buildup, restoring shine, and easing itching. The oil mixture calms your scalp while the pure apple cider vinegar cleans the hair and removes buildup.
This shampoo helps your hair grow out healthy and stops itching from happening again. It is suitable for all hair types, cruelty-free, and color-safe.
- Ingredients. Coconut oils, and avocado oil hydrate and soothe the hair and scalp while the apple cider vinegar gives the scalp a deep cleanse removing dead skin and product build-up.
- Re-growth. While some shampoos may ease itching, this shampoo eases itching and promotes healthy regrowth.
- Daily Use. This shampoo is perfect for use daily on all hair types including sensitive and colored hair.
- Price. This shampoo comes at an expensive price tag which may not be suitable for everyone.
- Greasy. Due to the abundance of oils within the formula of this shampoo, it can make slightly more oily hair types greasier than normal.
While discussing an itchy scalp may not be the most beautiful of beauty topics, there has been an increase in people experiencing an itchy scalp due to a whole range of reasons.
The main one is that when working from home we all throw our hair into a bun or clips and avoid washing it for as long as possible.
Well, we have put together this buyer's guide to make sure you know what to look for in your products when you decide it is finally time to give your hair a good scrub.
The ingredients that make up the formula of your chosen shampoo are probably the most important factor. You don’t want the ingredients to be too harsh and strip your hair of its natural oils.
You also don’t want them to be too dense for your hair and not give it the cleanse it needs.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal activities are all present in apple cider vinegar. best suited for dry skin. Due to its acidic pH, it is best used incorporated into a shampoo/conditioner rather than being used on its own, as this can cause further dryness that increases the risk of hair follicle breaking and, in turn, makes the itchy state of the hair worse.
- Tea Tree Oil: An antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic oil is tea tree oil. As long as it's diluted in a product, the subsequent anti-inflammatory actions can help lessen or stop all types of itching.
- Peppermint Oil: The relaxing properties of peppermint oil may help to lessen dandruff and soothe itchy scalp conditions. Once more, avoid using peppermint oil at full intensity because it can have negative effects like more intense itching.
- Salicylic Acid: Salicylic acid shouldn't just be used in skincare. Shampoos with this BHA are useful for treating psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis-related itchy scalps. It works as a scalp exfoliant as well, making it a fantastic element in haircare for irritation reduction.
- Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate: This is derived from sarcosine, an amino acid. Your hair will receive a thorough but gentle cleanse with none of the risks of using sulfates.
- Sodium Cocoyl Glycinate: This is another derivative of amino acid which is a safe, non-irritating cleanser. Perfect for those with dry, itchy skin.
- Disodium. This is a sulfate-free cleaning agent that is great for degreasing oily hair. It is gentle on the skin, scalp, and hair for a nourishing, calming cleanse
Chemicals To Avoid
At the end of the day, taking all of the chemicals out of your shampoo may mean that your shampoo will not do its job. There are chemicals that are important to keep your hair healthy.
However, there are also chemicals that have been discovered to be extremely damaging to your scalp and hair. We explain them below:
- Surfactants: Surfactants are components that give shampoos their cleaning effectiveness. In other words, they are detergents that produce lather to make it appear as though your hair is being cleaned. Common surfactants that you will find in shampoos are:
- Sodium trideceth sulfate
- Sodium laureth sulfate
- Ammonium lauryl sulfate
- Ammonium laureth sulfate
Sulfates are what remove oils from your hair causing it to become dry and flat. You can avoid shampoos with sulfate alternatives, however, they could be in higher quantities to ensure the shampoo lathers. A key tip is to remember that the higher the soap content, the more drying the shampoo.
- Preservatives: These prevent the growth of mold in your shampoo. Mold is a health risk, particularly if your product has a lot of water in it. Potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate are the two most widely used preservatives. Another form of preservative that is commonly found within shampoo is parabens. Common parabens are:
- Emollients: These substances counteract the negative effects of surfactants. They aid in the preservation of moisture in your hair follicles, preventing dryness and brittleness. Additionally, they lubricate your hair's strands to reduce friction that could harm it. Your hair seems more vibrant and shinier as a result.
Aloe vera, vegetable oils, and mineral oils are examples of emollients. Another well-liked emollient that improves shine by sealing the hair cuticle is silicone.
Dimethicone is the most prevalent kind of silicone found in shampoos.
Ideally, you want to select a shampoo that contains a higher percentage of organic ingredients within its formula than chemicals.
This will ensure your hair and scalp are being cleansed and moisturized without adding any nasty extras.
There are more possibilities with natural shampoos made with botanicals, fruit extracts, seed oils, and essential oils.
These shampoos typically cleanse more delicately, increasing hydration without causing scalp irritation or depleting your hair of its natural oils.
Frequently Asked Questions
Everyone has different needs for their shampoo, so selecting the right one can be rather difficult.
And with every brand screaming about its amazing product from the rooftops, it can quickly become an overwhelming task.
We have answered some of the most commonly asked questions surrounding the best shampoos for an itchy scalp below.
What Ingredients Make The Scalp Itchy?
Harsh foaming substances, especially the detergent sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), which is present in many drug store shampoos, are one of the most frequent causes of an itchy scalp.
These shampoos' foaminess is due to SLS, a recognized skin and scalp irritant.
What Is The Main Cause Of Itchy Scalp?
Dandruff, also known as seborrheic dermatitis, is the most typical cause of an itchy scalp. The condition is known as cradle cap or crib cap in infants.
This kind of dermatitis frequently affects the scalp and face, which have sebaceous or oil-secreting glands.
What Is Recommended To Soothe An Itchy Scalp?
Shampoos with salicylic acid are useful for treating psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis-related itchy scalp.
A beta hydroxy acid called salicylic acid can be found in the bark of white willow trees and evergreen leaves.
It possesses bacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities.
How Do You Know If Your Scalp Is Unhealthy?
The symptoms of an unhealthy scalp include dryness, flaking, itching, or excessive buildup. The texture of the hair may alter, or it may fall out or break easily.
You may want to introduce more moisturizing products such as natural oils into your shampoo and hair care routine.
Natural, organic oils such as argan and coconut oil will help nourish both the scalp and hair to bring more shine.
Struggling with an itchy, flaky scalp has become a common problem for us all.
As we all begin to ignore the signs of needing our hair washed and opt for drying non-wash options such as dry shampoo that ultimately damages our hair.
Whether you are dealing with eczema or have a small patch of dry skin, it can be uncomfortable and make you feel rather insecure.
Check out our 5 top picks for the best shampoos for an itchy scalp.
Give your hair and scalp a good cleanse with a blend of natural oils to bring back your hair's natural shine. You’ll never want to hide it in an updo again!