Acne is an uncomfortable skin condition that can really knock your confidence.
Medications are available to control the condition, but they can take a while to take effect and are not suitable for everyone.
If you are struggling with acne then there is something else you can try - a facial concealer that will even out your skin tone and camouflage the acne.
There are lots of different products available that promise to conceal your acne, but which ones actually work?
We have put together this guide of the best concealers for acne to help you find a product that will really work and will help you to regain your confidence. Keep reading to find your perfect acne concealer.
Here are our recommendations for the best concealers to use to cover up your acne.
OUR TOP PICK
This is a skin colored acne camouflage cream that is designed for men.
The ingredients are dermatologically approved and help to fight acne as well as cover it up.
This cream contains lemon extract, spearmint extract and salicylic acid to help reduce redness and shrink the acne.
The ingredients are also natural and the vegan, cruelty-free formula is free from parabens.
This concealer cream can be used for all skin types- oily, combination, dry and sensitive skin.
It is sweat proof and smudge proof so one application will last all day.
It is really easy to use and will give you an even skin tone in seconds.
There are four different shades that you can choose from to help you find one that matches your skin tone.
- Dermatologically approved - This concealer fights acne as well as covering it
- Natural - The ingredients are naturally derived and the formula is vegan friendly, cruelty free and contains no parabens
- Versatile - It is suitable for all skin types
- Price - This product is quite highly priced for a small bottle so it is better for people with a bigger budget
Neutrogena is a very well known and respected brand when it comes to cosmetics and skin care products.
This concealer comes in a very handy tube with a sponge wand at the end for convenient application.
It contains salicylic acid and uses microclear technology to help control and minimize breakouts of acne whilst helping to give you an even skin tone.
This product is recommended by dermatologists and is suitable for everyday use as part of your skin care or cosmetic routine.
This non-comedogenic formula is available in four different shades so you can find one that suits your skin tone.
- Brand - Neutrogena is a very well respected brand for skin care and cosmetic products
- Application - This concealer has a sponge wand applicator
- Dermatologically approved - It is suitable for everyday use
- Ingredients - It contains salicylic acid to help fight acne
- Scent - Some customers found that this concealer had a strong scent
This concealer is designed for use on dark circles and blemishes but it actually works really well on acne, too.
It has a stick of concealer at one end and a brush on the other, so you can easily apply the concealer and then blend it in.
You don’t need to carry a separate brush or sponge, which means you can keep it in your pocket or in your car and discreetly top up your concealer throughout the day if you need to.
This concealer comes in four different shades and is very easy to blend, whether you are using foundation or not.
It camouflages pimples, spots, and dark circles and reduces redness for a smooth and even skin tone.
- Application - This concealer includes a brush for easy blending
- Color - There are four different shades to choose from
- Precision - The stick application is quite chunky which makes it difficult to apply the concealer to precise areas
If you want to find the precise shade to match your skin tone then this product is ideal for you as it comes in 8 different shades.
It has the quality of a high end cosmetic product but without the price as it is very affordable.
You can build up coverage in layers depending on the effect you want to create or the severity of your acne.
This concealer is designed for quick and easy application.
Simply apply the stick onto the areas you want to cover and and then dab gently with your finger to blend the concealer for a flawless finish.
This concealer is sweat proof and will stay in place all day long.
The tube is discrete and is small enough to fit in your pocket.
It also contains nourishing ingredients like rose oil and jojoba extract to keep your skin moisturized.
- Color - This concealer comes in 8 different shades
- Nourishing - It contains moisturizing ingredients
- Application - The application is easy and simple
- Oily - Some people found that it was oily which is not ideal if you have an oily skin type
Clinique is a very well known brand of cosmetic products that can be trusted.
However, this concealer is a high end product and is not suitable for people on a smaller budget.
It is an oil free formula which is ideal for people who have oily or greasy skin as it will provide an even coverage without making your skin look shiny.
- Oil free - This formula is oil free which is good for oily or combination skin
- Matte finish - It provides an even coverage without shine
- Price - This is a high end product which is not affordable for everyone
This concealer pen designed for men has a narrow tip which is ideal for precise application.
It also has a discrete design so you can take it anywhere with you for quick touch ups and cover ups throughout the day. It looks just like a normal pen!
The formula will nourish your skin as well as concealing your acne.
The recovery formula contains tea tree oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E, antioxidants, and chamomile to soothe and enrich your skin.
It is a sweat proof concealer that won’t smudge throughout the day. There are five shades to choose from.
- Discrete - This concealer pen looks like a regular pen
- Precise - It has a narrow point for precise application
- Nourishing - The formula will soothe and enrich your skin
- Long lasting - It is sweat proof to last all day
- Color - There are 5 shades to choose from
- Area - This concealer is not ideal for large surface area cover ups
Unlike the other products on this list, this is primarily an acne drying lotion with a secondary feature of providing camouflage.
This is ideal for people who have severe acne and want to treat it whilst also covering it up enough to make them feel more confident.
You can use it on your face or anywhere else on your body.
The medicated formula is of salon quality and will dry up your acne and pimples, helping to accelerate the healing rate (Also check out Can You Get Pimples In Your Ear?).
It is dermatologically approved and is hypoallergenic and non-irritating.
It is also non-comedogenic which means it won’t block your pores and cause more skin issues.
It comes in four shades so you can find one that matches your skin tone to provide you with an even appearance.
- Medicated - The medicated formula will accelerate the healing of your acne
- Versatile - You can use it on your whole body, not just your face
- Dermatologically approved - It is hypoallergenic and won’t irritate your skin
- Non-comedogenic - It won’t block up or clog your pores
- Specialized - It is designed specifically for acne healing with concealing as a secondary feature, which may not appeal to people with mild acne
This concealer stick for men comes in five different shades.
It can conceal scars, blemishes, acne, rashes and dark circles, and blackheads, helping to give you an even skin tone.
It has a matte finish, so you don’t need to worry about looking shiny or greasy.
The ingredients are mineral based and the formula is fragrance free, so you won’t be putting any harsh chemicals on your skin.
The tube is compact so you can easily fit it in your pocket or slide it into your gym bag, getting it out for discrete use.
It looks like a lip balm, so it won’t attract attention.
A little bit goes a long way and it is reasonably priced, so you definitely get good value for money with this product. It is easy to apply and blend.
- Discrete - The tube is shaped and sized like a lip balm
- Color - There are five shades to choose from
- Matte - It won’t make you look shiny or greasy
- Natural - It is fragrance free and mineral based
- Application - It is very easy to apply and blend
- Thick - some people found that the consistency of the concealer was a little too thick
This product is a concealer, a BB cream and a tinted moisturizer all in one.
It has SPF protected and provides great coverage for concealing acne.
It will even out your skin tone and moisturize your skin to give you more confidence.
The cream is light and easy to apply, and it blends really well.
- Multi-use - It is a concealer, BB cream and tinted moisturizer
- SPF - It provides SPF protection for your skin
- Nourishing - It will help to moisturize your skin
- Application - the light cream is easy to apply
- Price - It is quite expensive for a small bottle
This 3 in 1 correction cream is designed specifically for men.
It contains 3 different shades so you can try them out and see which works best for you.
This also makes it ideal for if you get a tan during the summer as you can adjust the shade you use without buying a new product.
It is compact and easy to carry around with you for discrete use.
- 3 in 1 - You get 3 different shades in one product
- Compact - It is a compact and discrete product
- Price - It is more expensive because you get three concealers in one product
Now that you know which concealers are the best to use for acne, you need to figure out which one is going to be the ideal choice for you.
We have put together some considerations to help you make your decision.
The first thing you need to think about is budget. We have included a range of products to suit different budgets.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a concealer that will work well for your acne.
Remember that you need to consider value for money and look at not just the price, but how much product you get for your money.
Another thing to consider is the brand of concealer that you want to use.
Some people like the peace of mind that comes with using a well known cosmetic brand.
Their products have a good reputation and their name is well established in the industry.
However, you can save some money if you go for a lesser known brand and often the formula will be very similar.
Some concealers are made using more natural ingredients and are free from parabens and harsh chemicals.
Others are made with more conventional formulas. Neither one is necessarily better than the other, it just depends on your personal preferences.
Some concealers also contain ingredients that will help to dry out the acne and improve the overall condition of your skin as well as masking the acne itself.
It is best to get these concealers if you plan on using them regularly as this will allow you to see the benefit of the active ingredients.
You need to make sure that you are choosing the right color for your skin tone.
This could sway your decision as to what product you choose, as they vary in terms of the shades and tones that are on offer.
There are different ways that you can apply concealer.
Some of them come as a liquid that you can apply with your fingers or with a cosmetic sponge.
You can get stick concealers that you apply directly onto the skin (or with a separate brush or sponge if you prefer).
You can also get concealers that come with a brush attachment or a wand for a more direct application.
It depends on what you prefer and what you find easiest.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you use concealer?
Using concealer is pretty simple once you get the hang of it.
Apply the concealer to the problem areas such as dark circles, spots, rashes, and anywhere with uneven skin tone.
Use a cosmetic brush, a dampened cosmetic sponge, or your fingers to blend the concealer into your natural skin tone so there are no obvious lines.
If you need to, you can use a tinted moisturizer or any facial moisturizer to help your blend the concealer. When you are finished, your skin will look more even.
How do you choose the right color concealer?
If you don’t use any other makeup or cosmetic products then you need to choose a concealer that is the closest match to your skin tone.
Think about whether your skin is fair, medium, or dark. Do you have a cool complexion or a warm complexion?
If you use other products like foundation then you need to consider whether the concealer is a good match for the rest of your makeup, and if it will blend well with your foundation.
Will using concealer make your acne worse?
Some people are concerned that using concealer to cover up their acne will actually worsen their condition.
Concealer can be useful for helping to dry out your acne, which speeds up the healing time.
Some concealers have ingredients that actively dry out the acne, or help to minimize and heal it.
In order to prevent your acne from getting worse, make sure that you wash the concealer off every night and follow a good skincare routine.
ou should also give your skin a break from concealer at least once a week, more often if possible, to allow your skin to breathe.
If you are looking for the perfect concealer to camouflage your acne then this list will help you.
We have included a range of different concealers which will all provide excellent results.
Whether you have a small budget or a big budget, whether you prefer a stick application or a brush application, you will be able to find a product to suit your needs.
Make sure that you always read the instructions carefully and follow the guidelines for application and removal.
It is best to perform a skin test on a small area of your face and leave it for 24 hours before applying the concealer to a large area, to ensure that you don’t have an adverse reaction to the product.